The Park South building in southeast Minot has seen plenty of activity over the years.
As the former Sacred Heart Convent, the building was a mother house for nuns and a girls academy, built in 1948 for $200,000. The Minot College of Business, founded in 1932, moved into the building in 1967. Loren Hansen, who bought the college in 1962, entered a purchase agreement with the nuns to buy the convent building for $345,000.
In 1973, ownership of the college changed to Judy Harper and Darlene Watne, and the property ownership went to Clair and Darlene Watne and L.C. McDaniel. The college continued to operate in the nearly 50,000-square-foot building until 1975, when the school moved to a new Main Street location and operated there under Harper's ownership for a short time before closing.
An apartment building, constructed as a convent and used as a business college in southeast Minot, is part of a planned development for senior housing.
With the college relocated, the building owners sought to sell. The Minot Senior Citizens League considered buying the building but found the $625,000 price too high, considering the repairs that it would need. City and county officials considered buying the building for a law enforcement center. The Minot Commission on Aging mulled a purchase for senior housing and a senior center.
The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development leased space in the building in 1976 to house flood victims temporarily.
The building came back to Sacred Heart Convent, based in Richardton, by default in 1977 and was put up for resale for $420,000. For a time, the state showed interest in acquiring the property for a women's prison.
In 1979, the Campus Church of God bought the building for $250,000 to create the Church of God Total Life Center to host services and other religious activities. Following remodeling of the interior, a child care center opened in the building in 1980.
Franklin Huwe acquired and converted the building into 35 federally subsidized, low-income rental units in 1983. The city awarded a $500,000 Municipal Industrial Development Act bond for the purchase and remodeling.
For about 10 years in the mid-1980s, the building was home to the Mouse House, headquarters of the theatrical group Mouse River Players.
The building most recently has operated as a 35-unit apartment building, owned by Jerry Jorgenson.