FARGO (AP) - Officials are beefing up security for this week's marathon in North Dakota's largest city, in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings last month that killed three people and injured more than 260.
Fargo Marathon officials are not releasing specifics about security for the event that begins with a youth run Thursday and concludes with the marathon and other races on Saturday. However, Executive Director Mark Knutson told The Forum that marathon officials have met with police, the FBI, ambulance crews and officials from the Fargodome, where the race starts and ends.
"We've walked through scenarios and how we would react," Knutson said.
Runners this weekend will see numerous signs that unattended bags will be immediately confiscated. Authorities say the two bombs that exploded at the Boston Marathon were in backpacks.
"Don't be leaving anything around," Knutson said. "We've been getting a lot of questions but I think what we've done is solid."
Only two runners withdrew from the Fargo Marathon after the April 15 bombings at the finish line in Boston, according to Knutson. More than 14,000 people are expected to participate in the marathon, half-marathon, 10K and marathon relay races on Saturday.