Nine homes in Minot's flood buyout zone may be relocated rather than demolished this summer.
The Minot City Council's Finance and Improvements Committee on Monday voted to recommend that the council approve the sale of nine houses in the 400 block of 15th Street Southeast to Loren Vannett of Minot, the only bidder.
Except for one house that carried a bid price of $6,106, the offers were $2,506 for each house. The total came to $26,154.
The city had put 15 houses that staff felt were suitable to be moved up for bid. Cindy Hemphill, city finance director, said a determining factor in choosing the homes was that they could not contain lead-based paint, asbestos or other hazardous materials that would require expensive mitigation by the city.
Ward County previously advertised 19 structures in its buyout zone for relocation. They included 12 homes, mostly in Robinwood Estates, west of Minot.
Most of the Minot houses for sale were on 15th Street Southeast. The houses also included some on Burdick Expressway, Sixth Avenue Southwest and Fifth Street Northeast. Hemphill said the houses are in good condition, with some having been repaired and lived in since the flood.
The cost of relocating each house is estimated at $25,000 to $35,000. To relocate a house within the city will require that the new owner apply for a moving permit, which must be reviewed by the council.
The houses must be relocated before demolition of homes in the buyout zone takes place this summer. More than 70 homes are slated for demolition. The city expects to award a bid for that work in June. The properties are being removed for proposed flood protection and to create space to fight potential floods in the meantime.
In other business, the committee voted to recommend the city proceed with an agreement with Cypress Development for the construction of two downtown parking structures.