During the weeks before U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans died at the hands of terrorists in Libya, he warned of the increasing danger from Islamic militants. Yet the State Department pulled security forces out of Libya.
After the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya was attacked on Sept. 11, President Barack Obama insisted the deaths were at the hands of an unorganized mob infuriated by a video, produced by a California man, that was critical of the prophet Muhammed.
Within hours after Stevens died, it was clear the attack was an organized one, including weapons no mob of angry Libyans would have been carrying.
What happened was clear to Libyan President Mohammed Magarief, who said it was obvious the assault was a terrorist attack. Magarief also noted the video in question had been in circulation for months before Sept. 11, with no mob violence among Libyans.
Both Obama and Vice President Joe Biden have said they were not told the situation in Libya was a terrorist attack until some time after events unfolded. Congress has been holding hearings on the attack. Even without them two things are clear:
U.S. officials put Americans at risk by ignoring their pleas for more security.
Obama's blame-America-first foreign policy sometimes spurs him to ignore the obvious.
This is no way for the United States to handle its affairs in other countries.