Get ready for an even more raucous campaign season

April 6, 2014 - Andrea Johnson
What limits should be put on free speech in this country? Should there be any?

The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down limitations on individual campaign contributions in a two-year cycle, essentially clearing the way for a handful of very wealthy individuals to contribute to and influence government officials. In 2010, the court had earlier struck down financial limits on campaign contributions by corporations and unions.

Imagine what this will mean for the upcoming Presidential and congressional campaigns! I expect ever more shrill and obnoxious ads from special interest groups outside the state. I also fear that this does not bode well for the future of our country. I do not like the idea of the very wealthy 1 percent having even greater influence over the government that makes laws that affect us all. Still, I also believe in the First Amendment and no man gives up his right to freedom of expression when he earns his first million.

How do you feel about the Supreme Court's decision?

JackAaah

Apr-13-14 11:16 AM

For sure, PreJudice2016.....America does need to be knocked down a few pegs.....who do we think we are?

PoeticJustice16

Apr-10-14 7:30 PM

"I do not like the idea of the very wealthy 1 percent having even greater influence over the government that makes laws that affect us all."

________________________

Yes. And we then must consider that the US is only a tiny, 4 percent of the world's total population.

Apr-10-14 10:33 AM

How about those Steyer brothers? Sterling Democrats, if "sterling" means "rich" like it used to.

JackAaah

Apr-09-14 1:05 PM

Lugume...once we can get our voting block of the takers up from 47% to 51%, it will be clear sailing for our Democrat Party. We can do what we want...we won't be stopped....and our Democrat Party won't have to have it's President use Executive Orders any longer to put law into effect. Our country will have moved Forword....

Apr-08-14 10:45 AM

Agree. The consolation is adelson tried to sell refrigerators to eskimos and it failed mostly. The right attempts to sell lies and supports failures like neut and mitt. Fortunately their stuff does not sell well. Per mitt, 47% of us would not vote red no matter what. 47% want stuff from the Fed. We need overseas factories where the workers live in the factory and work for 100 year old wages. As long as the koch's and adelson maintain such an unAmerican attitude, an anti-labor position and general fanatical stance; there is hope they will continue to waste their money . Our founding fathers warned about those who might "buy" the government. The ACA continues 2 make liars of them as every day passes.

JackAaah

Apr-07-14 5:41 PM

the only thing that will change this year is we of the Democrat Party, and our media screaming and screeching for us, of just how awful the negative campaigning is.....since we have SO much to loose this time. I am just happy the media never accuses my Democrat Party of negative campaigning....ever.

Apr-07-14 11:30 AM

Part of me wonders how, exactly, anything will really change.